What blades are best for mulching?
Keep reading to learn more about this mower accessory and see top picks for the best mulching blades available.
- BEST OVERALL: Rotary Blades for Deck/Craftsman/Poulan/Husqvarna.
- BEST VALUE: MaxPower 21-Inch Universal Mulching Mower Blade.
- UPGRADE PICK: 8Ten LawnRAZOR Mulching Blades for MTD Cub Cadet.
Is a mulching blade better than a regular blade?
Mulching blades are an excellent choice for use on lawns that receive a mowing every three to four days. Using mulching blades on overgrown grass can result in clogging under the deck and piles of grass on the cut lawn. Mulching is also an environmentally friendly way to deal with grass clippings.
Do John Deere tractors come with mulching blades?
This exclusive technology is available with One-Touch Technology on the John Deere X350 Select Series Riding Lawn Tractor with a 42-in or 48-in Accel Deep™ Mower Deck and other Select Series mowers. All MulchControl™ Kits from John Deere include mulching blades for best grass mulching results.
What does a John Deere mulching blade look like?
A mulching blade looks like a high-cut blade, but with more cutting areas. It has to cut the grass multiple times so that it can land as mulch on the lawn instead of clippings.
Can you use high lift blades for mulching?
Lifting blades come in three types: High-Lift, Medium-Lift, and Low-Lift. Essentially, the greater the lift, the more horsepower that’s required. You would use High-Lift blades when tackling taller, more dense grass (High-lift = higher-lifting airflow). You should not use Lifting blades for mulching.
Can you sharpen mulching blades?
Note: Sharpening mulching blades is sometimes more difficult. Mulching blades may have longer or curved cutting edges, and you may need several types of files to sharpen them.
How do you put a mulching blade on a John Deere?
How to Install a Mulching Blade on a John Deere Mower
- Unscrew and remove the cap screws from the blade. Slide the cutting blade off the blade mount.
- Place the mulching blade onto the blade adapter.
- Screw the cap screws back into place.
- If your mower deck has more than one blade, replace all the blades at the same time.
How should mulching blades be installed?
Look at both sides of the mulching blade. Most blades have the word “bottom” stamped on them, or they have a model number imprinted onto the underside. Whether a word or a number, that side of the mulching blade must face the ground after it is installed and the mower is standing upright.
How do you mow with mulching blades?
How to Cut a Lawn With a Mulch Blade
- Start at the top left corner of the lawn, and move down toward the bottom left corner.
- Mow the second row of lawn the same way as the first, mowing another outline inside the outer ring.
- Continue mowing in concentric circles or rectangles until you reach the center of the lawn.
Do you sharpen mulching blades?
After all, if the blades are too sharp, they could slice too much debris; If they’re too dull, they won’t cut the grass evenly. Mulching blades are supposed to be sharp so they can cut through grass, leaves, and other debris. The blades should be sharpened twice per season.
Why does my mulching mower leave clumps of grass?
If your mower leaves clumps of clippings all over, it means two things. First, you’re mowing when the grass is wet. Second, you’re letting the grass get too tall between mowings. Mow frequently enough so that you never remove more than one-third of a the grass blades is a single cutting.