How do you do a block quote in APA 7?
About Block Quotes
- Any quotation containing 40 or more words should be formatted as a Block Quote.
- Do not use quotation marks to enclose block quotations.
- Place period at the end of the quote rather than after the citation.
- Block quotes should start on a new line and indent the block about ½ inch from the left margin.
How do you quote lines from a poem?
When you quote a single line of a poem (or part of a line), simply put it in quotation marks as you would for any other quote. If you quote two or three lines, use a forward slash to mark the line breaks. Put a space before and after the slash.
How do you write the title of a poem?
Titles of individual short stories and poems go in quotation marks. The titles of short story and poetry collections should be italicized. For example, “The Intruder,” a short story by Andre Dubus appears in his collection, Dancing After Hours.
How do you quote something someone said?
Use double quotation marks (“”) around a direct quote. A direct quote is a word- for-word report of what someone else said or wrote. You use the exact words and punctuation of the original.
What should be italicized in APA 7th?
- titles of: books. journals. movies. TV shows.
- a new key term, but only the first time used.
- words and letters used as examples (the letter a)
- variables/statistical symbols.
How do you format a block quote?
- Block quotations start on their own line.
- The entire block quotation is indented 0.5 inches, the same as the indentation for a new paragraph, and is double spaced.
- Block quotations are not surrounded by any quotation marks.
- The punctuation at the end of the block quotation goes before the citation.
Are Article titles italicized APA?
Titles of articles, episodes, interviews, songs, should be in quotes. In APA, use italics for titles of books, scholarly journals, periodicals, films, videos, television shows, and microfilm publications. Quotation marks or italics are not required for articles, webpages, songs, episodes, etc.
How do you introduce a block quote in APA?
Introduce the block quote on a new line. Indent the entire quote ½ inch or 5-7 spaces; the block quote may be single-spaced. Include the page number at the end of your block quote outside of the ending period. Also include the author’s last name, date of publication, and page number(s)/paragraph number.
When should a quote be a block quote?
Block quotations are only used if the text is longer than 40 words (APA) or four lines (MLA). Double space all lines. Do not add an extra space before or after the block quote. Unlike quotes integrated into your text, block quotes do not need quotation marks.